Green Jello Poke Cake


I love holiday traditions and I'm always looking for new ones to surprise my kids. This year I decided to make a Saint Patrick's Day twist to an old stand-by. There is nothing easier to make for dessert than a Jello Poke Cake. And I decided to make one with lime Jello so that it would be a lovely shade of green for the festivities.

This recipe is adapted from my Betty Crocker's Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook. It is one of my favorite cookbooks.

 St. Patrick's Day Cake Recipe
1 pkg. white cake mix (prepared according to directions on box)
1 pkg (4 serving size) lime-flavored gelatin (generic brands work fine) 
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 small frozen (thawed) whipped topping

Mix and bake cake according to box directions. Allow cake to cool completely, about 1 hour. Pierce cake ever 1/2-1 inch with the end of a wooden spoon. Stir gelatin and boiling water in small bowl until well mixed; stir in cold water. Pour gelatin mixture over cake. Refrigerate 2 hours. Spread whipped topping over top of cake. Enjoy.



This recipe can be made with any flavor of Jello, but for St. Patrick's Day, I believe it really should be green. The lime gave it a very light, spring time flavor. This recipe is also especially good when the weather is warm since it is cool and refreshing.

Make one today and surprise your kids for St. Patrick's Day.


Photobucket

Thursday: Incentive/Reward system for kids