Chore Charts

This is the easy, easy way that I have found to assign household chores to the kids. Each of them has a chart in their own color that hangs on the side of the fridge where they can easily see what is expected of them.

Admittedly, these are not the prettiest chore charts in the whole world, but they hang on the side of the refrigerator out of sight and we are all about functionality and practicality around here. While I would LOVE to have these so cute charts made by Not So Idle Hands, it just wasn't a project that I saw myself putting the time into.

Here is how I made my charts. I bought 4 different colors of poster paper from the dollar store (one color for each kid) and started cutting them up. The back of each chart is a rectangular piece of poster board that is 14 inches by 5.5 inches. I then cut 5 small rectangles of each color that are 5.5 inches by 1.5 inches. I got out my handy, dandy glue stick and glued around three sides of each small piece and attached them to the large piece leaving the top open in order to slide chore cards in. The top pocket is 3 inches from the top of the chart and they are evenly spaced all the way to the bottom. I printed the child's name at the top of the chart.

For the chore cards I bought a package of 4x6 index cards and cut them in half. I print the chores on the cards and slide them in the pockets. Any time there is a new chore to be done, I simply write it on a new card and add it to my stack. I am able to change each child's chores every day as circumstances dictate. Some days they may have 5 chores to do, other days they may only find  one or two chore cards on their chart.

The whole project was easy, cheap and has the exact result I was going for. The system is flexible and requires very little daily energy or time for me to maintain. Completed chores are rewarded using our Money Incentive Program.

Photobucket

Tuesday: Leftover Easter ham




BWS tips button






http://www.thethriftyhome.com


Photobucket