I spent the majority of my life being completely unable to make biscuits. My poor family has endured the pain of hockey puck biscuits, powder dry biscuits and flavorless overcooked yuckiness. I tried recipe after recipe. I had all but given up when finally I decided that it was time to work out a recipe myself. It worked perfect! These biscuits are flavorful, light and delicious. This recipe is foolproof, obviously, they work for me.
Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter (cut into small pieces)
3/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Work butter into dry mixture (I use my fingers to do this.) Slowly mix in cold buttermilk. Knead dough on floured surface, being careful to just need it until it is smooth. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness, re-flouring counter and rolling pin as necessary. Fold dough in half (this makes the biscuits splittable- ideal for buttering.) Cut biscuits using biscuit cutter or opening of a glass or cup. Bake 15 minutes on a greased sheet.
On a recent trip to KFC, I not-so-humbly concluded that MY biscuits are better than the colonels. No more hockey puck biscuits around here!
Before you rush off to the kitchen to get busy making these biscuits, I'd like to encourage you to hop over to A Vision To Remember where you can read a guest post by me! It's part of the Spring Extravaganza and I'll tell you all about how I'm growing tomatoes this spring.


