This is it; this is the time of the year that McDonald's sells their delicious, lightly minty, triple thick Shamrock Shakes. I do enjoy the seasonal treat, but they cause me a bit of heart ache on two counts. First, I have NO idea what is actually in the blasted thing. Though, I don't know for sure, I have a sneaking suspicion that it isn't wholesome milkshake ingredients like ice cream and milk. And second, at more than two dollars for the smallest size, it is not a treat that I am likely to take a family of six to enjoy.
This year, I decided that it was time to venture into the world of creating Shamrock Shakes at home. It worked. It worked minty-perfectly. Here is the recipe that I created for Homemade Shamrock Shakes.
Homemade Shamrock Shake Recipe
1 cup Vanilla ice cream (homemade ice cream or super cheapo storebrand work great)
1/2 cup Milk (I used 1% milk)
1/8 tsp Mint Extract
4 drops Green Food Coloring
Place all ingredients in blender and mix for 3-4 minutes or until consistency is smooth.
These amounts are a perfect serving size for one shake, but can be easily doubled to make two servings at one time.
Now we can all enjoy Shamrock Shakes throughout the year.
Wednesday: Making a Green Cake for St. Patrick's Day
