I make French Bread for my family very frequently. It is easy and there are so many uses for it. I make it into garlic bread on spaghetti night, cheesy bread, french bread pizza, french toast and sometimes I will shape it into smaller rolls for sandwiches. My recipe makes two large loaves, so I will often use them two nights in a row in two different ways.
No kidding, this bread only needs to be kneaded (haha, don't we all need to be needed) for 2-5 minutes, that is so doable! I make it with 1/3 whole wheat flour for some added nutrition, however it is equally delicious made with 100% white flour. When I was making loaves of French Bread this week my son saw what I was doing and asked if he could be a "super taster" and have a sample of the warm bread before dinner, but I knew cutting into the warm loaf before dinner would be a slippery slope and we might end up a whole loaf short by dinner time.
French Bread Recipe
2.5 Cups Warm Water
2 Tbs yeast
3 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs white vinegar
1 Tbs salt
1/3 Cup Vegetable oil
6 Cups Flour (Or 2 cups whole wheat flour and 4 cups white flour)
Mix first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Let sit until bubbles start to form on top. Stir in all remaining ingredients, adding flour one cup at a time. Knead for 2-5 minutes (this is the only kneading you will need to do) adding more flour if dough becomes too sticky. Place dough back in mixing bowl and put mixing bowl in microwave, do not turn the power on. Allow dough to rise for 30-40 minutes in closed microwave. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with corn meal. Divide dough in half (or more if making small sandwich rolls) Shape into loaves and place on cookie sheet. Slash the dough top with a knife 3-5 times. Brush with beaten egg (optional). Let rise for 30 minutes while oven is preheating to 375 degrees. Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Making your own bread products is one of the surest ways to cut your grocery bill. This recipe is a really good one to start with because it is simple and versatile.

