100% Whole Wheat Pancake Recipe


In our house 'pancake mix' is a dirty word! Seriously, makin' the real thing is not hard and I even have a way of making this recipe into a mix (coming in a future post). These are so easy to make. The entire mixing process takes less than five minutes. My oldest son is very outspoken about preferring whole wheat pancakes to ones made out of white flour. I have no problem accommodating his preference, especially since the added nutrition makes me feel like Supermom. The million dollar secret to fabulous pancakes is in the vanilla, ssshhhhh!

Whole Wheat Pancake Recipe (makes 12-14 pancakes)

2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbs. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla


Heat griddle or large skillet to 350 degrees. In large bowl beat eggs and stir in milk and oil. Add all remaining ingredients and stir until no lumps remain. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto hot griddle. Cook about 2 minutes or until edges look cooked and bubbles begin to break on pancake surface. Turn pancakes and cook approximately 2 minutes on 'other' side.


I use Presto Cool Touch Electric Griddle 07047. I have had the same griddle for the last 7 years and I have had pancakes turn out perfect everytime. It also works great for grilled cheese!


In our house we often eat pancakes for dinner. Hey, if Denny's can serve them 24 hours, why can't I? They are cheap, easy, quick and require very little post dinner clean-up. This recipe can be doubled and I freeze leftovers in ziploc bags to be reheated in a skillet over medium heat. So, make a double batch tonight for dinner and feed the leftovers for breakfast throughout the week.

It's the dinner that just keeps on giving!