When I was in college, I worked one summer at an orange packing house. It was a horrible experience. The days were long and tedious, the co-workers were less than friendly and it was hot and smelly. The craziest thing about that summer is that the entire time I was there I never ate one orange. Not ONE! I didn't eat any oranges because of my deep rooted hatred for peeling the suckers. I do not like having orange zest embedded under my fingernails, I dislike it so much that it was enough to keep me from enjoying the bounty that was around me that summer.
A couple months ago I purchased a citrus peeler. Oh boy! Where has this been my entire life? With that one small purchase... less than $4 at WalMart, I am able to truly enjoy oranges for the first time in my life. The little blade on the bottom is just the right depth to cut through the peel but not cut the juicy, sweet orange underneath and the end of the apparatus peels that skin right off. My fingernails get a reprieve from the nastiness.
Since making this simple purchase, I have eaten about 4 oranges a week and I have peeled them for my children as well. Talk about a life changing little gadget!